Saturday, July 16, 2011

The End of Chapter, the Beginning of a New One

In the last six weeks, I've come to realize how wonderful and blessed my life really is.  I remember very clearly moving to Lexington, not knowing anyone, wondering how I was going to survive law school, make friends, or stay warm during the bitterly cold Kentucky winter.  I never thought that I would stay past law school, I figured that I would move home right after graduation. But as it has been said, you just never know where life will take you.  I met Matt right before I graduated and decided to take a chance on him and on a job with a little benefits consulting business.  Now, here I am, leaving Lexington twelve years later and feeling like I'm leaving behind a rather large piece of myself.

To my dear friends, you've been so kind to me over the years.  You have taught me that it's okay to be whoever you are.  That there are people out there that love you for you, even with all the ugly bits.  I've found more than my fair share of kindred spirits in the Bluegrass - people I plan to stay friends with for the rest of my life.

I have been so fortunate as to work in two great jobs in my time in Lexington.  Each one taught me so much and day by day gave me the confidence to believe in myself.  I never planned to be an insurance attorney.  But what you may not know is that insurance is where all the fun people work.  I've had a blast, even on the bad days.  For those of you I've worked with, you made the work funny and rewarding and I am a better attorney because of you.

Lastly, being a part of Faith Lutheran Church has been the most rewarding experience of all.  I never did attend church regularly before coming to Kentucky.  But Matt and I have been a part of this congregation for almost a decade.  This parish reminded me that Church is about God and serving others as Jesus did.  Elementary I know.   Lest we all forget, we are all works in progress full of our own sin and error.  So, far better to love others than judge others.  Something I still work on, but still true.

It is hard to close the door on this time of my life.  Matt and I decided to go to California for a lot of reasons.  But the primary reason was that we felt that it was time to get on with our lives.  I still feel that's true.  But it doesn't make the leaving any less painful.

So the Beginning of the Blog is an ending.  I have told many of your that I don't say goodbye.  I don't because I hate goodbyes and because you never ever know where life will take you.  I am often amazed at the way people are brought back in our lives.  I know that I'll be back from time to time and that many of you will visit me in my new place.  So this isn't a goodbye.  Instead it is a little note to tell you that I love you all, I will miss you all, I will see you all again.

Peace, A

No comments:

Post a Comment